Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Settle for Our Lives

There's a very poignant song written by a really talented local artist, Rick Hale, called "Settle For Our Lives." I highly recommend you listen to it, not only because the melody is catchy and somewhat haunting, but also because of the message in the lyrics. It's really made me take a moment to consider where my life is going and if I'm just "settling" for whatever life hands me. We only live once, and it had better be with a purpose. Taking the path of least resistance will never lead you to the top of the mountain. I went ahead and transcribed the lyrics below, and I hope you can also take a moment to think about what your dreams are and if the way you're living is leading toward their fulfillment.

Settle For Our Lives, by Rick Hale
Link to the music video: https://youtu.be/PMPr7p4RYDw
I fit nicely in the corner in a box so well prepared,
Safely packaged in the doldrums, and barely coming up for air,
I used to have more faith but now, it all seems to have run out somehow,
And now, I hardly dream at all.

I bring it up in conversation with the folks that come my way,
And we talk about the box we only hope to leave someday,
Never really stepping out, but man it's fun to talk about
The chances we've been too afraid to take.

Now don't you think it's strange,
How we dream of things, but never really change?

So I thought that I could wonder on a course for bluer skies,
And they tried to hard the worry, but I could see it in their eyes.
People want to make-believe, but can't afford to chase a dream,
They make you think that you should never try.

Now don't you think it's strange,
How we dream of things, but never really change?
And we never question why we settle for our lives.

Some day out in the distance when I reach my time to go,
I'll be buried in a box along with everyone I know.
I hope to say I used my time on something I could leave behind,
'Cause memories are all we'll have to show.

Now don't you think it's strange,
How we dream of things, but never really change?
So we work our 9 to 5,
Living to survive,
And we never question why we settle for our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment