Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It's Not About How Hard You Can Hit...

It's been a roller coaster couple of weeks for me. I feel like I've just be hit in the gut over and over with all sorts of disappointments and setbacks. The nature of those setbacks isn't important, what's important is now is how do I respond? No matter how hard we try, we will be faced with disillusionment; I don't feel like I merited these disappointments in any way, but that's outside my control. The only thing within my control at the moment is myself, my temperament, my attitude, the way I confront these issues. I'm reminded of a quote from the movie Rocky Balboa where Rocky is talking to his son and tells him, "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!" I've always loved that quote. Sometimes life just punches you in the nose, and you gotta keep moving forward. It's sometimes easier to just lie down and feel sorry for yourself, but what does that accomplish? Nothing! Life's too short to nurse hurt feelings, go out and live!

No comments:

Post a Comment